Season Wrap-Up: Volleyball

CENTRAL VOLLEYBALL DOMINATING HIXSON HIGH SCHOOL- Senior Mikiah Tate hits the ball over the net, winning a set for the team.

Amber Burchfield, Staff Writer

The 2021 volleyball season concluded on September 28. On September 26, the Lady Pounders lost to the perennial powerhouse, East Hamilton Lady Hurricanes. While Central fell short of the expectations set at the beginning of the year, this was a great learning experience for first year Head Coaches Courtney Parham and Casey McGrath. Central High volleyball is looking forward to a great 2022-23 season.

Coach Casey McGrath stated, “I think that the season went really well and the team continued to grow, both individually and together, throughout the entire season.”

The Lady Pounders have high hopes for next season, and improvement and growth was seen in many of the players this season. One of the few being freshman Emma Lakin. The upcoming sophomore has high expectations for next season and believes the team will go far.

“I feel like I personally improved with my sportsmanship. Sportsmanship is very important in every sport, and I feel as though volleyball really helped,” shared Freshman Emma Lakin.

The team played well overall throughout the season. One Senior stood out among the others as a great teammate, and a key player to the team. Senior Mikiah Tate won the All District award for her sportsmanship and skills on the court. Tate was a key asset to the team on and off the field. Tate was honored to have received the award, and continues to work hard in the sport.

Tate expressed, “I am excited and happy with myself to have received this award. I recommend to upcoming players to always play your best no matter the circumstances, and to work hard especially when no one is watching.”

Overall, the Lady Pounders ended up having a very successful season. The team is ready to come back strong for the next season. The Lady Pounders are working hard with preparation for next year, and has many high hopes for the team.

“Going into next season, I think we will work on improving our presence at the net and agility across the court,” McGrath stated.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. The Digest will continue to bring the latest coverage and updates into the 2022 season.