Baseball Pounders’ Offense Shines Bright, Win Three in a Row

BASEBALL+SECURES+THREE+WINS+IN+A+ROW+--+Senior+Kion+Jones+at+the+plate+for+the+Pounders.+

Bailey Moore

BASEBALL SECURES THREE WINS IN A ROW — Senior Kion Jones at the plate for the Pounders.

Bailey Moore, Staff Writer

Baseball started the week off with some losses against Notre Dame High School, but came back with wins against Chattanooga School for Arts and Science and East Ridge High School.

On Monday, March 21, the Pounders hosted the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Gene Lively Field. Junior Dylan Brown was the Pounder’s starting pitcher. Brown pounded the strike zone but was touched up bu the potent Irish offense. The Pounder’s couldn’t get the bats going ans as a result, the final score was 10-0.

The next day, on Tuesday, March 22, the boys faced off against Notre Dame again. Junior David Kanerva was on the bump first for the home team. This game went the same way as Monday’s game- the Pounders couldn’t bring runs in while the Irish littered the outfield with base hits. Once again, the game ended in five innings with a score of 10-0 in favor of the Irish.

A few days later, on March 25, the Pounders played at home against the Chattanooga School for Arts and Sciences. Senior Devin Seaman toed the rubber and dominated Patriots hitters. As the innings ticked away, Seaman became more effective, and when the dust settled, he struck out eight Patriots. The Pounder’s everyday outfielder and leadoff showed off his skills on the mound by employing a four seam fastball and sweeping curve. The first year Pounder has served as team’s ace and only cemented that though with his seven innings of shutout work. Seaman was supported by a barrage of hits by the offense including a no doubt homerun to left by senior catcher Luke Keown. In the midst of the Pounder’s impressive 12 run beatdown, senior right fielder Kion Jones crossed the plate four times. The final score was 12-0.

BASEBALL SECURES THREE WINS IN A ROW — Senior Devin Seaman #23 pitching for the Pounders. (Bailey Moore)

“I feel like we were a lot more composed during this game than we normally are. We accomplished a lot during the game,” shared Seaman.

The Pounders traveled to East Ridge for a double header on Monday, March 28. For the first game, Junior Dylan Brown was the starting pitcher. Brown only allowed two Pioneers to score in the first inning. The Pounders managed to score 15 runs in the first inning. In the second inning, the Pounders scored 9 runs and the Pioneers scored 2 runs. The Pounders scored 2 more run in the third inning. In the bottom of the third inning, Junior Keaton Hesson came in to pitch. Hesson threw three up, three down to finish up the game. The game ended early in the third inning with a score of 26-4.

After game one, the Pounders duked it out with the Pioneers again. Junior David Kanerva was the starting pitcher. Kanerva didn’t allow any runs scored throughout the game. The Pounders scored 9 runs in the first inning and 7 runs in the second inning. The game ended early in the third inning, with a score of 16-0.

“We won both games against East Ridge. They were both district game wins, which is always good. We finally hit the ball well, played good defense, and the pitching was good. That’s all it takes to win all games- we need to play like that every game,” commented Head Coach Glen Carter.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports, including baseball, will be updated frequently with scores, updates, and more, so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.