• Go buy your prom tickets! The last day is Friday, April 21st.
  • Learning labs are available after school.
  • Follow The Central Digest on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Central Boys Soccer Still Fighting A Losing Battle So Far This Season

Amber Burchfield

GETTING HIS KICKS — Junior Tyson Dean steals the ball way from a Sequatchie Indian in a recent match.

Amber Burchfield, Staff Writer

The Central boys soccer team traveled on March 28th to play against the CSTHEA Patriots. The Pounders played well, but sadly lost with the score of  10-1. The team then traveled away from the home of the Pounders again on March 31. Central took on the Tyner Rams, but once again lost with the final score of 10-1. The Pounders did not let this devastate them, and prepared to take on Soddy Daisy on April 1. The team played well and kept the Trojans from scoring many goals in both halves of the game. Central took a tough loss once again with the final score of 5-1. Even with the teams current losses, Central is keeping their heads high and preparing to play their best in upcoming games.

“The team is working hard to improve on and off the field. We are playing better overall, but we are not playing well in long stretches. Slowly we are working on incremental progress,” said head coach Trevor Brittingham.

In the match against the Patriots, the team played well during the first half by keeping the Patriots from scoring many goals. During the first half of the game, Senior Michael Barr scored a goal for the Pounders. The team was exhausted and ready to take a break. During the second half of the match, the team still tried to keep up with the Patriots. The Pounders were tired by the end of the match andlost with the final score of 10-1. Central did not let this devastate them, and began preparing to take on Tyner Academy.

“The Patriots were a well developed team with a lot of great players, but we never backed down and we pulled off a goal. We played well as a team for what he had to work with,” stated Senior Demetrio Dominguez.

The following Thursday, Central traveled from their home of the Pounders to take on the Tyner Rams. The first half of the match was played decently. The teams defense played well and made sure to block the Rams from scoring a goal. Barr scored a goal for the Pounders during the first half.  Central lost with the final score of 10-1, with the Rams taking a victory.

“The team did not play their best against Tyner, but we are still figuring out how to work as a team. We looked good in small stretches, but we need to play well throughout the whole game,” noted Brittingham.

The next day, the Pounders got to play on their own field. Central was ready to take on Soddy Daisy with high hopes. The first half of the match the team played well. Junior Carmelo Villanueva scored a goal for the Pounders. The defense played well throughout the match and kept Soddy Daisy from scoring many goals.  The team still lost with the final score of 5-1. Even with the loss, the team was happy with the success from the game and began to work better as a team.

“We played very well against Soddy Daisy. We defended well and managed to have more offensive possession and more shots. The spirits were high throughout the team,” shared Dominguez

Readers can view the latest sports updates on the sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. The Digest will continue to bring the latest coverage and updates as the 2022 season progresses.