Baseball Gets Defeated at Central Invitational Tournament; Wins District Game Against East Hamilton

BASEBALL GETS DEFEATED AT CENTRAL INVITATIONAL -- First Baseman Brayden Poythress in position to catch the ball thrown to him

Bailey Moore

BASEBALL GETS DEFEATED AT CENTRAL INVITATIONAL — First Baseman Brayden Poythress in position to catch the ball thrown to him

Bailey Moore, Staff Writer

The Central High School baseball team hosted the Central Invitational tournament starting on Wednesday, March 30. The Pounders played Sardis High School, Gordon Lee High School, Silverdale Baptist Academy, and Eagleville High School.

The Pounders started the tournament off playing Sardis High School on Wednesday, March 30. Senior Devin Seaman starting pitching and pitched up until the sixth inning, when Freshman Evan Henderson came in to finish the game. The Pounders were not able to score throughout the game, while the Lions managed to score 11 runs. The game ended with a loss for the Pouders, with a final score of 11-0.

A few days later, the Pounders continued the tournament playing a double header on Friday, April 1. They first played Gordon Lee High School, with Junior Elijah Dill as the starting pitcher. The Trojans were able to score 8 runs during the first 7 innings. This game ended in another loss with a score of 8-0. The following game, the Central High Pounders played Silverdale Baptist Academy. This game was an upset for the Pounders, ending the game short in the 5th inning, with a score of 18-5.

On Saturday, April 2, Central High played against Eagleville High School for their last game of the tournament. The Pounders played a good game but unfortunately just could not get runners across home plate, losing with a score of 3-0.

“We came out and played but couldn’t come together to secure a win. We needed to get hits when they were needed but we weren’t able to get them. We made some mistakes in the field that costed us runs which put us behind in some games,” shared Junior, Brayden Poythress.

The next week, the Pounders played a district game against East Hamilton High School on Monday, April 4. Senior, Devin Seaman, pitched against the Hurricanes all 7 innings. Both the Hurricanes and the Pounders scored 1 run within the first inning. Junior, Keaton Hesson tied up the game scoring a run for the Pounders. The score remained 1-1 throughout all 7 innings. The stands were filled with suspense till the bottom of the 7th inning, Hesson hit a walk off, resulting in Sophmore Landen Poythress to score the winning run, allowing the Pounders to win the game with a final score of 2-1.

“This was the only game so far all year that we have played complete as a team. There was good pitching and the boys scored when they had to. They deserved the win,” shared head baseball coach Glen Carter.

A few days later, the Pounders traveled to East Hamilton High School to play the Hurricanes once again. The Pounders could not pull through and only scored 1 run throughout the entire game, while the Hurricanes scored 6. Devin Seaman scored the run for the Pounders. Unfortunately the Pounders ended the game in a loss, with a final score of 6-1.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports, including baseball, will be updated frequently with scores, updates, and more, so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.