Baseball Secures Wins Against Lookout Valley

BASEBALL+SECURES+WINS+AGAINST+LOOKOUT+VALLEY+--+Catcher+Luke+Keown+in+position+after+the+pitcher+launched+the+ball.++

BASEBALL SECURES WINS AGAINST LOOKOUT VALLEY — Catcher Luke Keown in position after the pitcher launched the ball.

Bailey Moore, Staff Writer

Spring break is a time for students and teachers to kick back and unwind from school events. But our beloved baseball players were just as motivated as when school was in session. Central High baseball team began their spring break by participating in two district games against Hixson High School. In the proceeding week, the team faced Signal Mountain High School and Lookout Valley High School.

On Monday, April 7, the Pounders made their way to Hixson High School. Senior, Devin Seaman was the starting pitcher for the Pounders. The only Central team member to score a run was Junior Outfielder, Aj Copeland. Central unfortunately took a loss of 12-1.

The next day, the team played the Hixson Wildcats once again at their very own Gene Lively Field. Junior, Keaton Hesson, was the game’s starting pitcher. Junior Aj Copeland, Junior Jackson Ellison, and Sophomore Landen Poythress scored for the Pounders. The Wildcats were able to score 1 more run than the Pounders, causing Central to lose again with a score of 4-3.

The next week, on Monday, April 11, the Pounders hosted the Signal Mountain Eagles. Central was losing until the 3rd inning, when Junior, Keaton Hesson, and Junior, Elijah Dill, both managed to score. The game was tied 2-2 up until the 6th inning when the Eagles were able to score 2 more runs. The Pounders were not able to score any more runs and lost with a final score of 4-2.

“We didn’t really hit well during these games. The bats have to score runs, and we couldn’t make that happen. We also didn’t play the best defense, but we have to score runs in order to win,” commented Head Coach Glen Carter.

The next day, Central High faced off against Signal Mountain once again. The Pounders tried to make this game have a different outcome than the last, but they were only able to score 2 runs, while the Eagles scored 7. Central lost with an ending score of 7-2.

On Thursday, April 21, the Pounders played at home against Lookout Valley High School. Junior, David Kanerva, was the pitcher for the Pounders. The team managed to score 10 runs in the first 6 innings, while the Yellow Jackets were not able to score any. Jackson Ellison, pinch-runner for Catcher, Luke Keown, scored 3 of the runs for the Pounders. The final score of the game was 10-0.

Central played the Lookout Valley Yellow Jackets once again on Friday, April 22. Sophomore, Landen Poythress, pitched for Central. Junior, Aj Copeland scored 2 runs throughout the game. Junior, Keaton Hesson, Senior, Devin Seaman, and Junior, Cole Bellomy, all scored a run as well. The Pounders won the game with a score of 5-2.

“We really came together as a team. We listened to what our coach had to say and played two great games against Lookout Valley. We had some defensive issues in the second game against them, but we still pulled through in the end,” shared Junior Shortstop, Keaton Hesson.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on the sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports, including baseball, will be updated frequently with scores, updates, and more, so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.