Baseball Conquers Red Bank for Senior Night; Gets Defeated by Signal Mountain in District Tournament

BASEBALL+CONQUERS+RED+BANK+FOR+SENIOR+NIGHT%3B+GETS+DEFEATED+BY+SIGNAL+MOUNTAIN+IN+DISTRICT+TOURNAMENT+--+Junior%2C+Dylan+Brown%2C+up+to+bat+for+the+Pounders+

BASEBALL CONQUERS RED BANK FOR SENIOR NIGHT; GETS DEFEATED BY SIGNAL MOUNTAIN IN DISTRICT TOURNAMENT — Junior, Dylan Brown, up to bat for the Pounders

Bailey Moore, Sports Editor

The Seniors of the Central High baseball team were recognized at Gene Lively Field on Monday, April 25. This year, there were three seniors on the team. These Seniors were Catcher, Luke Keown, Outfielder, Kion Jones, and Pitcher, Devin Seaman. Keown has played baseball for the Pounders all four years of high school and plans on attending the University of Tennessee Southern. Jones has also played all four years, and he plans on attending Tennesee State University. Seaman hasn’t yet confirmed the college he plans to go to but he has enjoyed his first-ever year with the Pounders baseball team.

After the seniors were recognized, the team conquered Red Bank High School with an amazing comeback in the endgame collapse. Seaman was the game’s starting pitcher. The Pounders were losing by 5 runs until the 3rd inning when Seaman and Junior, Elijah Dill, were able to score 2 runs. Later in the 5th, Kion Jones and Junior, Aj Copeland scored 2 runs for the Pounders but the team was still losing 4-5 going into the bottom of the 7th inning. But just when Red Bank had won, Sophomore, Landen Poythress hit a walk-off allowing Junior, Jackson Ellison, to score alongside Poythress, ending the game with a winning score of 6-5.

The next day, Central was off to Red Bank once more with Junior, Keaton Hesson, as the starting pitcher. During the game, Junior, Elijah Dill, hit an inside-the-park home run resulting in three runs for the Pounders. Central ended up with a victorious win with a score of 13-8.

On Wednesday, April 27, the Pounders played Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences. Central secured another win with an early ending score of 11-1.

On Tuesday, May 3, the team played Meigs County High School. Senior, Devin Seaman, started on the mound for the Pounders. Runs for the Central were scored by Seaman and Juniors, Aj Copeland, and Cole Bellomy. The final score was 3-1, adding once again, another win for the Central Pounders.

The District Tournament began on Thursday, May 5 at Signal Mountain High School. The Pounders went into the game trying their best to succeed in the next round of the tournament, but they just couldn’t pull through and were not able to score more than one run. The game ended with a score of 11-1, resulting in the team being out of the tournament, to end their season.

“I feel like we played decent for the majority of the season. We started hitting the ball halfway through the season, we just couldn’t pull through in the tournament,” commented Junior, Dylan Brown.

Overall, the Central High baseball team had an outstanding season. They made mistakes throughout the season but always managed to learn from those mistakes. They ended the season with an 11-16 wins to losses ratio. Head Coach, Glen Carter, plans to focus on getting better at pitching and hitting next season.

“We had a good season this year as far as learning and fellowship. We played well at times and won games we probably should not have and lost some we probably should not have either. Overall I was pleased and had a fun time with all the guys and I am ready for next season,” shared Carter.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports will be updated frequently with scores, updates, and more, so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.