Central Volleyball Arrives

Amber Burchfield

CENTRAL VOLLEYBALL HAS ARRIVED — The 2021-2022 volleyball team huddling before their game against Hixson

Keaton Hesson, Sports Writer

The Central volleyball team is more than prepared for a fortunate season. With a few key adaptions being made, the girls are ready to give it their all on the court. After making it to the third round of regionals and being put out by East Hamilton last year, they feel as if they owe some payback. With returning players including, Emma Lakin, Serrea Battle, Rebecia Tipton, and the senior captains Hannah O’Kelley, and Sydney Woodward, they are looking at doing just that.

The team began practicing when tryouts ended on July 25th. Their training includes being in the weight room with a great amount of conditioning and then finishing their practices out by running through sequences and fundamental skills to build a solid foundation for the season. This year, the roster is constructed of 20 players: 2 seniors, 8 juniors, 6 sophomores, and 4 freshmen.

Sydney Woodward, who has played for the lady Pounders all 4 years, had some inspiring words:

“As the senior volleyball captain, I would like to accomplish being a team on and off the court. One of our mottoes this year is one team one mission. So to accomplish that goal, we will have to work together this year and know each other’s strengths and weaknesses in the hopes of being able to accomplish our mission to win,” shared Woodward, being optimistic.

Assistant Coach, Casey Mcgrath also had some words to say about this years season:

“We have a lot of returning players in addition to some new transfers so I’m really excited to see what they can accomplish this season. I expect them to do really well and work hard and I have every confidence that will happen,” expressed McGrath.

The first game is being hosted at CSTHEA on Monday, August 22 at 6:00 pm. The next game is also away at Howard High School on Wednesday, August 24 at 5:30 pm. The team is hoping for a successful start to the season, come out and support the Central Pounders volleyball team.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports, including volleyball, will be updated frequently with scores, updates, and more, so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.