Football Team Starts Strong With a Win Against Campbell County

FOOTBALL+TEAM+STARTS+STRONG+WITH+A+WIN+AGAINST+CAMPBELL+COUNTY+--+2022-2023+Football+team+lined+up+

Bailey Moore

FOOTBALL TEAM STARTS STRONG WITH A WIN AGAINST CAMPBELL COUNTY — 2022-2023 Football team lined up

Keaton Hesson, Sports Writer

After the significantly sound regular season as was hoped for, going 6-2 and being put out by Macon County in round 1 of regionals, the Pounders are looking for a further notable season to ride along with this year.

The team started workouts and conditioning back in the beginning of June, and kept with it until close to the end of July.

“I am very proud of the progress this team has made over the summer, i’m looking forward to seeing what accomplishments they may achieve. All the potential in the world is there to have a very good season, we just have to turn potention into reality,” mentioned Head Coach Curt Jones.

On Friday, August 19, the team had their first game at Campbell County. They started off very strongly with the first play of the game, a fumble caused and recovered by Leundre Hinton. The second defensive possession being a 67 yard pick six, it’s safe to say the defense came ready to play. Central had several players doing the right thing, and every play in the book seemed to be working. The Sophomore Quarterback, Ronye Watson, went 17 for 23 on throwing attempts worth 225 yards with only 1 interception. Watson also had 7 carrying attempts for 45 yards and 2 touchdowns. Stealthy Junior, Marquise High, had 18 carries for 136 yards and 2 touchdowns as well. The Pounder’s took the win with a final score of 35-21.

“How we played against Campbell compared to preseason was very pleasing. Everybody knew their assignments and we didn’t have any busts on offense at all. Looking forward, the offense could change each week based on what defense the other team is playing, but the adjustments should be simple for my guys,” expressed the Offensive Coordinator, Glen Carter.

The next game is on Friday, August 26, at Franklin County. The teams first home game is Friday, September 2, starting at 7:30 pm. They play Soddy Daisy and are preparing for a win, come out and support the Central High Football team.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports, including Football, will be updated frequently so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.