The Hixson Wildcat Beatdown; The Pounders Get Defeated by Red Bank

THE+HIXSON+WILDCAT+BEATDOWN%3B+THE+POUNDERS+GET+DEFEATED+BY+RED+BANK+--+Sophomore%2C+Ronye+Watson%2C+after+scoring+a+touchdown.+

Bailey Moore

THE HIXSON WILDCAT BEATDOWN; THE POUNDERS GET DEFEATED BY RED BANK — Sophomore, Ronye Watson, after scoring a touchdown.

Keaton Hesson, Sports Writer

Proceeding the teams last astonishing win against the Soddy Daisy Trojans, the Central Pounders took the bus on over to Hixson High School to face another district rival on Friday, September 9.

The Pounders advanced scoring from the previous game. The defense had yet another impressive game with 6 sacks, 7 tackles for a loss, 3 interceptions. Junior, Leundre Hinton, lead the charge with 3 of those tackles along with 3 of the tackle for losses. The team greatly executed this game.

During this win, the offense kept very busy as well. They had 365 total yards, 200 being passing, and 165 rushing yards. Sophomore, Ronye Watson, was unstoppable during this game with 200 passing yards, and 49 rushing, with his longest run being a 22 yard scramble. The Senior Running Back, MarQuise High, had a great game as well with 14 rushing attempts for 95 yards. Senior Receiver, Larry Henderson, had 4 targets for 78 yards as well.

“I’m very proud of this team, the coaching staff, and the hard work everybody has put in to become the team that we are,” shared Head Coach, Curt Jones. He means this statement wholeheartedly, and fully expects a bunch more wins from this team.

Overall, the Pounders completely overpowered the Hixson Wildcats, and gave themselves a great chance for the rest of the season. The game ended in a win with a final score of 34-16.

The next week on Friday, September 16, the team traveled to Red Bank High School for their next district game. Watson had 193 pass yards along with 55 rush yards. Watson also made an 11 yard pass to Junior, Tristian Odom, leading to the teams only touchdown of the game. Unfortunately, the Pounders were not able to catch up to the Lions and lost the game with a final score of 33-7.

“I feel like as a team, we had our head down way too much and had too many flags and callbacks on big plays that would’ve impacted the game heavily,” stated Jamison Johnson.

Be sure to come out and support this team in purple and gold every chance you get!

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports, including football will be updated frequently, so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.