Central Senior, MacKenzie Farner, represents Central as Competitive Swimmer

CENTRAL+SENIOR%2C+MACKENZIE+FARNER%2C+REPRESENTS+CENTRAL+AS+COMPETITIVE+SWIMMER+--+Senior+MacKenzie+Farner+swimming+butterfly+at+a+summer+dual+meet.+

Donated to the Digest

CENTRAL SENIOR, MACKENZIE FARNER, REPRESENTS CENTRAL AS COMPETITIVE SWIMMER — Senior MacKenzie Farner swimming butterfly at a summer dual meet.

Maddox Tucker, Staff Writer

High schools across Hamilton county feature a sport you may not have heard of, competitive swimming. Schools like Baylor, McCallie or GPS, East Hamilton, and Ooltewah all have teams, while Central doesn’t have a complete team. Central has one athlete who has represented our school for the last two years at the Tennessee State Swimming Competition, MacKenzie Farner.

Farner has been a competitive swimmer since she was eight years old, competing on year round club teams, summer league teams, and various interscholastic teams. She has competed for the Hunter Middle School Club teams as well as representing Central at the high school championship state meet the last two years. Since Central doesn’t have an organized team, Farner swims regular season meets as a co-opt athlete for East Hamilton while she tries to qualify for the state championship.

“Sophomore year I qualified for the 200 IM and 100 Backstroke events for state. Junior year I qualified in the 200 IM, 100 Butterfly, 100 Freestyle, and 100 Backstroke, and chose to compete in the 100 Back and 100 Fly at state. We are only allowed to compete in 2 events at the state meet” explained Senior and Central Swimming representative, MacKenzie Farner.

As a student in Hamilton County, swimmers must participate on a year-round club team of their choice to participate on their school team. Farner is an active member of Cleveland Aquatics, a year-round team in Cleveland, Tennessee that offers high-quality, professional coaching and technique for all ages and abilities.

“I have been a competitive swimmer for 10 years” Farner explained, “I’ve competed on year-round teams, summer club teams, and both my middle and high school teams for over ten years.”

This year’s season is already underway with their first competition that was held on October 24, and regular dual meets against other high schools scheduled from November to January with the State Competition meet in February that swimmers must qualify for during their year round or high school season.

“I am very excited for the upcoming season with my teammates and coaches, hopefully with another fun state meet at the end of the season,” Farner had exclaimed with great pride and enjoyment of this sport.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted. All sports will be updated frequently, so be sure to check back up here at the Central Digest.