Central High School Honors Eight Varsity Athletes at Signing Day Celebration

CENTRAL+HONORS+EIGHT+VARSITY+ATHLETES+AT+SIGNING+DAY+CELEBRATION+--+Coach+Jones+and+the+eight+varsity+athletes+who+were+honored+at+the+signing+day+celebration.+

MacKenzie Farner

CENTRAL HONORS EIGHT VARSITY ATHLETES AT SIGNING DAY CELEBRATION — Coach Jones and the eight varsity athletes who were honored at the signing day celebration.

Maddox Tucker, Staff Writer

On February 2, 2023 nine senior athletes participated in signing day celebrations, where they were recognized for achievements both on and off the field, and a few had the opportunity to sign national letters of intent to colleges of their choosing. Of the nine athletes eight football players and one swimmer received offers to various colleges, with two of the nine athletes signing national letters of intent to continue their educational and athletic endeavors throughout their college careers.

“Of our senior football players, these 7 guys that have offers represent over 70% of our senior class who will go onto college and continue to play, along with receiving a higher education which is unprecedented,” explained head Football Coach and Personal Finance Teacher, Matthew Jones.

This year’s celebration included seven football players including; Larry Henderson, Moses Duckett, Adrian Copeland, McKinley Bacon, Perry Armour, Donovan Smith, and Jamison Johnson, and Central’s first varsity swimmer, MacKenzie Farner.

Throughout the festivities Central’s athletes were recognized not only for their athletic achievements, but their academic achievements as well. While everyone recognized had received some kind of offer, only two of the eight presented athletes signed national letters of intent: Jamison Johnson and Mackenzie Farner.

Johnson has committed to the University of the Cumberlands in St. Williamsburg, Kentucky, where he has received a scholarship to continue his football career as a Patriot.

“I plan on going here and play at least 2 years, getting the film and my degree, then switching schools to something bigger,” explained Johnson.

Additionally, Central’s first varsity swimmer, MacKenzie Farner, has committed to Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky where she will continue her swimming career as a Pioneer.

“I plan to continue my swimming career over the next four years while studying for a degree in either biology or chemistry and working towards a nursing degree,” commented Farner.

Along with Johnson and Farner, football player Larry Henderson has also received various offers  to continue his athletic career,  “I plan on going to Crown College in Carver County, Minnesota for around one to two years then will transfer to a bigger school, I want to open my own clothing brand, but if push comes to shove, I might try to become a trainer.”

These seniors have worked hard for these scholarships and opportunities, spending years working hard both on and off the field to achieve these goals. Central strives to produce goal-driven people and will continue to inspire future generations by showing just how strong the Pounder Pride is here at Central.