2015 Central Volleyball Team Says Their Last Farewells

Samantha Scott, Staff Writer

The 2015 Central volleyball season ended in September, but the team officially met for the last time on Tuesday, December 1, for their team banquet. The players and coaches reminisced about great moments of the season as well as each player’s journey throughout the year. Head Coach Jeff Baughman and Assistant Coach Laurie McGinley were both proud of the team’s record and improvements.

The coaches handed out awards to both the JV and varsity players. Each senior received an award to take with them as they graduate. Emma Beach won Most Improved, Sam Scott was named Best Defensive Player, Caitlin Maupin received Best Sportsmanship, Rebekah Hill was awarded Most Valuable Player, Adrian McClurg received Most Improved Offensive Player, and Lexie Ainslie was given Most Coachable.

“Each senior – actually all [of] the players – brought something unique to the team. Each person had a specific role that we couldn’t have done without,” commented Coach McGinley.

One senior specifically stood out this season enough to land a scholarship to King University. Rebekah Hill, a select volleyball player for six years, received a spot on King’s volleyball team to begin her freshman year of college. She was an all-around player for the Pounders and received All-District, All-Region, and Best of Preps throughout her career at Central. She looks forward to playing for the Tornadoes in the future.

“I’m so happy to have been a part of this team. We’ve made so many great memories, and my team was always there to support each other. Our season has been a great way to conclude our senior seasons,” noted Rebekah.

The team as a whole had a very successful season, finishing second in the district and region tournaments. The girls have been more prosperous than past seasons and continue to build more talent each year. After the tone the graduating seniors set this season, the team should continue to be successful in years to come.

“There’s so much potential in the girls for the upcoming years. It’s crazy how far Central volleyball has came,” concluded senior Caitlin Maupin.