• There is a sign-up sheet in the front office for any students wishing to join the Ruri-teen club

• Fall Pictures have been rescheduled to Monday, October 22.

• There will be a mandatory Skills USA meeting before school on Friday, September 21

• Senior fees are due by Friday, September 28.

The 2017 Central High School Volleyball Team Plays Hard as Season Comes to a Close

THE 2017 CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL VOLLEYBALL TEAM PLAYS HARD AS SEASON COMES TO A CLOSE-- The Central Volleyball team plays hard during a game at Boyd Buchanan School

Donated to the Digest

Bailey Brantingham, Staff Writer

The 2017 Central High School volleyball season has come to a close, but their excellent performance will leave an imprint on this school for years to come. This year, Robin Moore, who has worked with volleyball players for 30 years, is coaching the team once again. Holly Ware, the assistant coach, is also helping out by working with the junior varsity team. Along with Coach Moore and Coach Ware, the team is led by three seniors, Amanda Roy, Kerri Sylvester, and Taleah Williams.

“Our biggest strength this year is our passing, our great attitudes, and the willingness of each player to improve,”  elucidated Moore.

According to Coach Moore, the team’s best game played was the tri-match with Ringgold High School and Coahulla High School. During this game, the team was down 11-21 and came back to win 25-21. This is just one example of the team’s ability to work together and not give up.

“I love volleyball, it’s a fun sport. The coaches are very nice and we’ve been playing pretty well,”explained freshman volleyball player, Kassy Griffith.

This team has already shown many instances of potential, and Coach Moore does not believe it will stop any time soon.

Along with the good comes the bad, and the team’s biggest struggles this year,  according to Coach Moore, are “Learning to attack stronger on the net, having confidence that they can succeed, and not giving up when they get behind in a game.” Their regular season matches record is 8-9, but their tournament play has dropped them to 8-15. “We have not played very well in tournaments,” explained Moore. Even though they have experienced some bumps in the road, the team is always willing to work together to correct and learn from their mistakes.

Their final game was on Tuesday, September 26 against Hixson High School. They won the first set, but  lost by two points in the third and final set.

“This team has consistently improved throughout the entire season. They work hard and strive to play better every time they hit the court,” concluded Moore.

About the Writer
Bailey Brantingham, Video Editor
Hi, my name is Bailey Brantingham. I’m a sophomore at Central High School and this is my second year on the Central Digest. This year, I’m back as a video editor making and editing video stories. I enjoy writing and I even hope to incorporate writing into my future career. My dream would be to...