Central Wrestling Team Loses to Walker Valley; Competes Well in Ooltewah Invitation

Pounders Persevere -- Central Wrestler Javon Smith competing at the Tullahoma T-Town Rumble

Donated to the Central Digest

Pounders Persevere — Central Wrestler Javon Smith competing at the Tullahoma T-Town Rumble

Blake Catlett, Staff Writer

Central competed in the Ooltewah Invitational on December 2, where Haiden Dill dominated and placed first in his weight class (113). Charles Jones also performed really well at the Ooltewah Invitational, placing fourth in his weight class (285). However, Thursday’s match against Walker Valley High School, was not filled with such success. Central lost to Walker Valley 69-12.

Unfortunately, Central’s team could fill only nine of the 14 matches played in a duel meet. Because of this, Central had to forfeit the five matches they could not fill. This awarded Walker Valley with a total of 30 points (six points for each forfeit). Head-to-head, Central still lost with a score of 39-12. Both Haiden Dill and Charles Jones pinned their opponents, awarding 12 points to Central (six points for each pin).

“Our problem was giving up pins in 5 of our 9 matches. We have to get better and not give up pins in order to give ourselves a chance,” explained Ryan Mallory, Central’s wrestling coach.

Even with the loss, Coach Mallory is very pleased to see the effort the team is putting in. Whether they win or lose, Mallory is proud that they are trying their best each match.

“Do I expect us to win every match? No. What I do expect is that our wrestlers will compete on the mat and improve every time out. So far, they have done that,” explained Coach Mallory.

Despite the lack of success, wrestlers on Central’s team are very confident in themselves. They believe that the team can perform well in their future matches.

“I am very confident in myself and my teammates as well. I believe we can do very well this year,” stated Jack Neely, a sophomore on Central’s wrestling team.

Central has had a shaky start to their wrestling season. However, they are working hard and trying to improve upon themselves. Hopefully, Central’s wrestling team can perform well in the coming matches.