Lady Pounders Basketball Team Hopes to Raise their Record in the 2019-2020 Season

LADY POUNDERS BASKETBALL TEAM HOPES TO RAISE THEIR RECORD IN THE 2019-2020 SEASON -- Sophomore Alona Allen goes up for a basket during their practice.

Karleigh Schwarzl

LADY POUNDERS BASKETBALL TEAM HOPES TO RAISE THEIR RECORD IN THE 2019-2020 SEASON — Sophomore Alona Allen goes up for a basket during their practice.

Bailey Brantingham, Head Staff Writer

As fall rolls around at Central High, so do the basketballs as the 2019 Lady Pounders basketball season is about to begin. This season is bound for success as the team is full of familiar faces, along with newfound talent as well.

This season’s returning players include Seniors Ja’Naya West, London Vaulx, and Bri Ladd along with Sophomores Alona Allen and Alexis Kennedy. The students that joined the team this year were Senior Tia Bowers and Freshmen Janaye Parker, Jakiyah Robinson, and Rayne Glover.

“I’m excited to join the team this year to have fun. I’m looking forward to the friendships that come with playing basketball and winning games,” claimed Glover.

The team this year, led by Coach Rick May, is working hard to improve from last year in order to win and perform as well as they can throughout the season.

“This season, the girls have been working on team chemistry and learning each other’s style of playing, as well as trying to decrease the amount of turnovers,” shared May.

Although the season has yet to commence, the team is excited to play and work together towards victory. The team is still open to any students interested in playing, and the team captain has yet to be decided, although May claims it will most likely to be appointed to two of the returning seniors.

“I’m just looking forward to playing and winning. I hope this year we can bring our record up. My goal is to have our team end the season in third place [in the division],” stated West.

The team is practicing hard to be ready for their first game of the season. May and the players admit that they are looking forward to winning games and playing hard for Central, but most importantly, having fun no matter what.