Central’s Girls Basketball Team Defeated by Boyd Buchanan and Soddy Daisy

CENTRALS GIRLS BASKETBALL TEAM DEFEATED BY BOYD BUCHANAN AND SODDY DAISY  -- Senior Bri Ladd is dribbling the ball down the court looking for an open pass.

Karleigh Schwarzl

CENTRAL’S GIRLS BASKETBALL TEAM DEFEATED BY BOYD BUCHANAN AND SODDY DAISY — Senior Bri Ladd is dribbling the ball down the court looking for an open pass.

Danae Wnuk, Staff Writer

As the basketball season begins, Central’s girls begin their first games in the month of November. Last week, Central’s girls basketball team began their season playing against Boyd Buchanan and Soddy Daisy.

Tuesday’s game, November 19, was a close call for the Lady Pounders. After the end of the regulated time, the two teams found themselves in a tie. The teams had to play overtime to decide a winner. In the end, Central lost by 9 points. The girls have a few techniques they need to improve on, and their coach is hoping to refine the team’s skills before the end of the season.

“We had too many turn-overs–” said Coach May, “–and didn’t shoot free-throws very well. As a result, the outcome wasn’t positive.”

The team has a lot of new players and is adjusting to the change. Central’s team hopes to continue building and perfecting its skills.

“We got a lot of young people on the team,” added one senior player, Ja’nya West. “We need a lot more experience, but, other than that, it was a good game.”

The overall score on Tuesday was 47-56.

Central suffered a heavier loss on Friday’s game, November 22, with a score of 35 in comparison to Soddy Daisy’s 46. The game may not have worked in Central’s favor, but the girls worked hard under the pressure.

“I think we did good,” admitted Janaye Parker, a freshman on the team. “We executed the plays right. They pressed us a little bit, but we still had it under control. We didn’t lose by that many points.”

Throughout the game on Friday, Jakiyah Robinson scored 10 points for Central, Ja’nya West scored 13, Allen added 9 points, and Ladd 3.

Despite the lossesĀ  the Lady Pounders endured last week, they are still determined and are working hard at progressing their skills and making Central proud.

Tonight at 6:00 p.m. they will be going against East Ridge at home. Tickets are $3 for students and $5 for adults.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on the sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted.