Junior Varsity Cheer Squad Revs Up Pounder Spirit

JUNIOR VARSITY CHEER SQUAD REVS UP POUNDER SPIRIT-- The junior varsity cheerleading team poses at a recent home basketball game.

Rayne Glover

JUNIOR VARSITY CHEER SQUAD REVS UP POUNDER SPIRIT– The junior varsity cheerleading team poses at a recent home basketball game.

Bailey Brantingham, Head Staff Writer

“Dribble it, pass it, shoot for a basket!” so says the newest cheerleading team at Central High School.

This year, many new changes have been brought upon Central High. One of these changes is the focus on school spirit through the addition of a junior varsity (JV) cheerleading squad and majorette team for the students.

Coached by Central’s freshmen guidance counselor, Karen Atkins, the squad cheers for the junior varsity boys basketball team. They perform various cheers, some originating from 1990, and even new ones from 2019.

“I was interested in being a JV cheerleading coach because Central has not had one since I was last in charge of it in the ’90s. This just shows that some things are never too old to bring back. It has been a learning experience for all of my girls from cheering to baton twirling,” shared Coach Atkins.

This season, there are 14 team members in all. Their main goal for the 2019-2020 season is to maintain a constant source of school spirit and to work together as a team.

“I joined the team because I like helping people, and I like sharing spirit throughout the school and being a leader. Also, I enjoy meeting new people, and I’ve been cheering since I was little, so it’s really fun for me,” stated Freshman Kristian Daniels, a member of the JV cheerleading team.

The team is excited to provide enthusiastic and enthralling performances at the basketball games as well as at the seasonal school pep rallies. Coach Atkins would like to remind the students of Central to look to the cheerleaders for a shining beacon of school spirit throughout the school year.