Central Volleyball Returns

CENTRAL+VOLLEYBALL+RETURNS+--+The+volleyball++team+huddles+before+their+game+against+Bradley+Central.+

Luke Keown

CENTRAL VOLLEYBALL RETURNS — The volleyball team huddles before their game against Bradley Central.

Luke Keown, Staff Writer

The Central volleyball team is looking forward to a successful season. With senior leadership, a strong underclass presence and fourth year head coach Holly Ware; a postseason berth is well within reach.

The Lady Pounders took the floor Tuesday, August 18, at Central. It marked the first sporting event since the COVID-19 outbreak put a halt to athletics in March. The Lady Pounders faced off against the tough Class 3A opponent, the Bradley Central Bearettes.

“I am excited about this year,” Senior Carmen Crabtree shared. “We have really improved on our skills and attitude from last season.”

The Lady Pounders started off the game with high intensity, but they fell into a early deficit due to unfortunate communication mishaps. The team seemed to get into a rhythm as the game progressed. However, the Bearettes proved to be too much for the Lady Pounders. Although this was a tough loss, the team showed good effort and the desire to improve as a team.

“We could have communicated…and hustled more,” Senior Kamren Hammonds said. “We worked really hard the next day at practice to fix the problems.”

Thursday, August 20, the Lady Pounders traveled to East Ridge High School where they faced off against their district rival, the Lady Pioneers. The Lady Pounders made quick work of East Ridge. They won 3 consecutive sets: 25-14, 25-15, and 25-10. This big district win was a huge turnaround from the tough Tuesday loss.

“We played really well by communicating a lot more and playing the game we know how to play,” Hammonds added.

The Lady Pounders look to carry the high energy into next week where they face a 3 game slate. On Monday, August 24, the Lady Pounders have a home game against CSAS at 6 p.m. The team will face the home-school based team, the Chattanooga Patriots, on Tuesday, August 25. On Thursday, August 27, the Lady Pounders will travel to East Hamilton High to face the Lady Hurricanes.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on the sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted