Rachel’s Challenge Brings Central Students Closer Together

START A CHAIN REACTION -- Rachels Challenge encourages students to start a chain reaction of kindness in their schools.

START A CHAIN REACTION — Rachel’s Challenge encourages students to start a chain reaction of kindness in their schools.

Sam Scott, Staff Writer

For many Central students, Monday, September 14, was not just a regular school day. Numerous students participated in Rachel’s Challenge, an event designed to open students’ eyes to the world around them. Based on the beliefs and writings of Rachel Joy Scott, a victim of the 1999 Columbine shooting, Rachel’s Challenge teaches how simple acts of kindness can affect an entire school. The presentation consisted of lessons and testimonies with games in between. Most games focused on day-to-day interactions with other people in hopes that students would to get to know each other better.

“There was one game called ‘Cross the Line’ that really stood out. Everyone had to cross a line if they had ever experienced certain things, and it really showed a lot of people that they aren’t alone,” noted Reuben Thrasher, a junior who felt a stronger bond form between him and his classmates.

Rachel’s Challenge also had many leaders who shared their personal stories. They each shared different situations where someone else’s words had a strong effect on them.

“It was very emotional for some kids, very in the moment,” commented Emma Blainey, a freshman at Central.

Overall, Rachel’s Challenge opened up the eyes of many students. It helped several kids realize the impact a few simple words can have on someone and influenced a large portion of the school to be less judgmental. Hopefully, this challenge will reverberate in students’ minds for years to come.

“Everyone around us has something going on in their life that’s hard, and just being kind to someone can change their day from bad to good,” concluded senior participant Rebekah Hill.