Skills USA Wins 9 out of 11 Medals to Proceed to Nationals

Payton Haley, Staff Writer

So far, 2016 has been a great year for Central’s clubs and organizations. One of our many successful organizations is Skills USA. Skills USA is is a partnership of students, teachers and the industry working that together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. Skills USA also helps each student excel. Their mission is to empower its members to become world-class workers, leaders, and responsible American citizens. There are more than 300,000 students and instructors, and the organization has 13,000 school chapters in 54 states.

So what is so great about our Skills USA team? Skills and Drafting instructor Keith Bright shared, “It’s all about having different skills. We compete using those skills. There are competitions for engineering, architecture, cosmetics, automation. There are a wide range of things. ”

Senior Tyler Colston also had good things to say about the club, “[Skills USA] has really opened me up to enjoy clubs. It’s the only kind of club that has interested me because of how much there is to do.”

Skills USA recently won nine out of eleven medals they competed for, which is a huge accomplishment.

“We are taking two people to national competitions this summer. This is the third time going to nationals for our group,” Tyler stated.

The Skills USA team has seemed to have done  very well this year , and we look forward to hearing more about their achievements in the upcoming 2016-2017 school year. Be sure to check out the Skills USA team and wish them the best of luck at nationals!