Step-Up Chattanooga Helps Central Students Step Into Summer Career

STEP-UP CHATTANOOGA -- For its second year, Step-Up Chattanooga will aid students in finding quality summer jobs.

Preston Fore

STEP-UP CHATTANOOGA — For its second year, Step-Up Chattanooga will aid students in finding quality summer jobs.

Preston Fore, Assistant Editor

For the second year in a row, Step-Up Chattanooga is aiming to assist high school students find high-paying jobs in the Tennessee Valley for the summer. The program helps low-income students find excellent summer paid-internships.

“During the application and interview process, students are able to learn many soft skills, such as public speaking, interviewing and eye contact,” explained senior guidance counselor Lindsey Ruggles.

In order to apply, students must be enrolled in a Hamilton County school as a current sophomore, junior or senior. Additionally, an online application must be submitted by December 1st.

“Step-Up is a really great program to learn how real life jobs will be. They express that you cannot be independent anymore — you have to work with people. As an adult, no one will be there to hold your hand,” shared sophomore Matthew Phan, who attended the Step-Up informational meeting at Central High School.

Several local businesses and organizations have partnered with Step-Up Chattanooga to provide summer internships for many high school students. Partners include Chattem, the Tennessee Aquarium, and the Creative Discovery Museum.

“After hearing about the idea from [Minneapolis], Minnestoa, a group from Chattanooga started Step-Up to provide summer jobs for students across Hamilton County,” recalled Ruggles.

In order to qualify, students must have a good attendance record and must not having any prior disciplinary issues. Overall, the program will place 150 Hamilton County high school students in paid internships with many companies and organizations across the tri-state area. The internships provide participants with work-readiness training, on-the-job experience, and professional mentors that will last for years.

Step-Up Chattanooga is an excellent way for students to get involved within their community, and they get paid for doing so! As their slogan says, Step-Up is “Preparing tomorrow’s workforce, today.”