Two Central High Skills USA Students Hope to Proceed To National Competition

TWO STUDENTS FROM SKILLS USA PROMOTED TO NATIONALS -- Samantha Reels holds up the medal she won for Skills USA

Donated to the Central Digest

TWO STUDENTS FROM SKILLS USA PROMOTED TO NATIONALS — Samantha Reels holds up the medal she won for Skills USA

Eleanor Simmons, Staff Writer

Originating from Tennessee, Skills USA is one of the largest student organizations in the world, focusing on various technical skills. At the annual region competition, there are 87 types of skills members can compete in. Some of these skills can include architectural design, engineering, and principles of technology.

This year, several Central High School students competeted in the regional competition.

“We had two students that did an optimum job while we were there. Samantha Reels, a sophomore, and William Tatum, a senior, competed in four events. William had to display a job skill demonstration and Samantha had to do a job interview process,” explained Mr. Bright.

Samantha Reels exclaimed that competing against other people was really stressful and nerve-racking.

“When you had a certain time limit that you could not surpass, your anxiety just starts to build up and you freak out. However, I knew that I had to calm my nerves and continue on with the task at hand,” recalled Reels.

During Reels’ job interview event, she had to set up a mock business and get a job application. Additionally, during her job she had to review resumes and interview different people.

Competing against eight other people, Samantha said it was a good experience and that she would compete again.

William Tatum, the other winner from Central, had to demonstrate a job process skill, which exceed over five minutes. Tatum said that he was exhilarated and glad to be able to compete.

“We won at regional and got a silver medal at state and now were hoping to move onto nationals,” concluded Bright.

Reels, Tatum and Mr. Bright all exclaimed that going to Skills USA was a very beneficial opportunity. It helps people be able to prepare themselves for life and the careets that they will pursue.