• Help Central's Model United Nations Delegation by donating at bit.ly/CentralSHSMUN

• Fall Pictures have been rescheduled to Monday, October 22.

Spirit Week Festivities Begin At Central High

SPIRIT WEEK AT CENTRAL -- Students may choose to dress in the appropriate attire during Spirit Week, October 1-5.

Kirstin Langton

Airicka Richardson, Staff Writer

Show your Central Pounder pride this week during Spirit Week! From October 1 to October 5, students will be able to dress up in different type of outfits, outside of normal dress code.

Monday is Picture Perfect/Dress to Impress Day! Students may choose to dress up in fancy attire, such as dresses and suits.

Tuesday is Tacky Day! For this day, students can dress up in anything that would be labeled as tacky.

Wednesday would be Think Pink Day! In honor of October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, students may wear pink.

Thursday is Cowboys Versus Aliens Day! Students choose to embody a cowboy or alien for the day.

Lastly, Friday is Spirit Day! Spirit Day, of course, is a day on which students dress up in purple and gold to demonstrate their school spirit.

Duncan Kelley, who teachers World History and Geography, in addition to Leadership, was in charge of getting these days together.

“I let the kids brainstorm and we took 15 suggestions to Mr. King. He narrowed it down to 5,” explained Kelly, after asked about the inspiration for this year’s Spirit Week theme.

Traditionally, on the last day of Spirit Week, there will be a powderpuff football game. However, this year, due to standardized test benchmarks, the game has been rescheduled for a later date.

“The powderpuff games have been a long standing tradition here at Central. We’ve been doing them since even when I graduated in the ’80s,” stated Principal Finley King.

However, the homecoming football game is still scheduled against East Ridge High School. Before and during the game, a homecoming king and queen will be named. The homecoming court only consists of seniors, nominated by other seniors. To be recommended for king and queen, seniors must have good grades, attendance, and behavior. On Friday morning, seniors, juniors, and sophomores will vote in their advisory class. The advisory teachers will hand out the ballots from there. Freshmen are not able to vote for homecoming king and queen.

The Central Digest encourages all students to participate in Spirit Week and proudly show your Central Pounder pride!

About the Contributors
Airicka Richardson, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Airicka Richardson, I am a freshman, and this is my first year on the Digest. I enjoy listening to music and drawing. My favorite subjects in school are biology and geometry. I am very shy and quiet, but am a hard working person. I want to go to college to become a cardiologist, and plan on being part of the Digest all four years of high school.

Kirstin Langton, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Kirstin Langton, I am a freshman, and this is my first year on the Digest. My interests include writing, watching movies, and hanging out with my dogs. I am also a member of the Central Sound of Chattanooga’s colorguard, which has been an amazing experience so far! I am excited to be a member of the Digest this year, and I cannot wait to see where it will take me.