Central’s Music Department Spreads Holiday Cheer with Christmas at the Courthouse Performance

CENTRALS MUSIC DEPARTMENT SPREADS HOLIDAY CHEER WITH CHRISTMAS AT THE COURTHOUSE PERFORMANCE -- Centrals Jazz Band and Choir pose for a photo in the rotunda of the Hamilton County Courthouse during the annual Christmas at the Courthouse event.

Donated to the Central Digest

CENTRAL’S MUSIC DEPARTMENT SPREADS HOLIDAY CHEER WITH CHRISTMAS AT THE COURTHOUSE PERFORMANCE — Central’s Jazz Band and Choir pose for a photo in the rotunda of the Hamilton County Courthouse during the annual “Christmas at the Courthouse” event.

Jake Johns, Copy Editor

‘Tis the season for hot cocoa, Christmas carols, and holiday cheer! The Central High School music department, consisting of the Central High School Jazz Band and the Central Voices Choir, teamed up to perform as a part of a “Christmas at the Courthouse” performance.

On December 6, the Central High School Jazz Band and Central Voice choir performed at the Hamilton County Courthouse’s annual “Christmas at the Courthouse” program that is sponsored by Hamilton County Schools and the Hamilton County Parks and Recreation Department. This event consists of musical groups ranging from elementary school to high school, performing on various days over the period of two weeks.

The Central Voices performed holiday selections such as “Carol of the Bells” and “Mary Did You Know?”. Mrs. Katheron Latham, Central’s choir director, views “Christmas at the Courthouse” as a wonderful opportunity for students.

“I was very proud of the Central Voices’ performance at the Courthouse. They performed with energy and enthusiasm,” commented Latham.

The Central High School Jazz Band performed “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,” “The Little Drummer Boy,” “Winter Wonderland,” “Let It Snow,” and “O Holy Night”.

“The group played incredibly well and represented Central High School beautifully,” commended Joshua Bloodworth, Director of Bands at Central High School.

Bloodworth and the jazz band enjoy sharing their music with locals and look forward to more community performances in the future.

“We love to play out in the community,” elucidated Bloodworth, “That was our third out of four community performances with the jazz band for the holiday season. Our final performance [for the holiday season] will be Saturday, December 15 at Hamilton Place Mall at 7:00 PM.”

Senior Edicklee Frias-Cruz, a member of the jazz band, believes the band played outstandingly, and is excited for new compositions that they will undertake.

”I believe we did an amazing job and I’m excited for the possibility of us playing at the jazz festival,” divulged Frias-Cruz.

Central High School is filled with an abundant amount of talent in the music department. With an increasing amount of community presence, Central’s talent will continue to be recognized, spreading cheer throughout Chattanooga and surrounding areas.