Advancement in Technology Sees Demise of Paper Report Cards

ADVANCEMENT IN TECHNOLOGY SEES DEMISE OF PAPER REPORT CARDS -- PowerSchool has become the new way of checking daily grades and missing work.

Google Images

ADVANCEMENT IN TECHNOLOGY SEES DEMISE OF PAPER REPORT CARDS — PowerSchool has become the new way of checking daily grades and missing work.

Marshall Sims, Staff Writer

Modern technology has caught up to Hamilton County high schools and parents as well as students and staff have mixed emotions about the change from traditional paper report cards to online grading. Report cards have been turned over to PowerSchool, an online grading site that shows students’ current grades throughout the year, leaving physical report card sheets in the past.

Some might say they prefer the PowerSchool report cards due to the quick and easy access of the internet, but many people agree that physical copies are the best way to go. They are more convenient for people without internet access and they may be easier for parents to get a hold of.

“I prefer to have report cards on paper because not everybody has internet at home,” said Emily Bradford, a sophomore. “I think it’s best to have grades given to the students and to be taken home.”

The lack of technological resources is a major issue concerning students. Most do not have internet access at home and seem to dislike the idea of keeping track of PowerSchool; this is especially true for those who do not have a phone or easily accessible technology.

However, there are some students who prefer PowerSchool due to the quick and easy access of grades that is available at their fingertips.

“I prefer PowerSchool because it’s easier to access and can’t get lost,” explained Sophomore Kaleb Wilson. “If people can’t access the internet, then they [the teachers] should allow the students to check their grades at school and print them out to their parents.”

English teacher, Sally White, agrees with the idea of handing out report cards. “I think that it is worthwhile because some parents don’t check PowerSchool and some don’t know how to. It’s just a good practice to check in at those quarterly milestones,” added White. “As a parent, my son frets about this grades, so it is helpful to me to check in once a quarter as well.”

Times have changed and as of now, online is the way to check up on daily grades. PowerSchool can be checked at any time, instead of just quarterly. It will also notify you about missing work, non-graded paper, and late assignments. This is the most recent way of seeing daily grades and as of now is the most accessible.