Senior Tyler Mullins Receives Full ROTC Scholarship

Donated to the Central Digest

SENIOR TYLER MULLINS RECEIVES FULL ROTC SCHOLARSHIP — Tyler Mullins is in his formal JROTC uniform.

Sarah Katheron Latham, Staff Writer

Many of Central’s seniors have spent the past school year busy with college and scholarship applications. One of those seniors, Tyler Mullins, is proud to have received a scholarship through the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC). The scholarship includes full tuition, $1200 for textbooks per year, and $420 for every month that he is in the program.

Mullins went through a thorough application process to attain this scholarship. In order to apply for this scholarship, Mullins had to complete a written application with personal information, transcripts, ACT or SAT scores, and a Department of Defense medical form (similar to a sports physical form). Mullins went through a physical examination, optometrist examination, and a fitness examination; it included one minute of push-ups, one minute of sit-ups, and a one mile run. To close out the application process, Mullins was interviewed by the Professor of Military Science at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC).

“The application for the scholarship itself was more extensive than the applications for admission into most universities,” expressed Mullins.

During his time at Central, Mullins participated in JROTC, baseball, National Honor Society, and Beta Club. Mullins served as Battalion Commander in JROTC during his senior year. He was on the baseball team four years, and he serves as treasurer of the National Honor Society. During his junior year he served as treasurer for his class. Mullins was a part of Central’s homecoming court last fall.

“JROTC in high school holds some of my dearest memories…All of my fellow cadets and I formed a family, and I will always cherish these bonds. The instructors have taught me so much about myself, and they have provided me the opportunity to build upon my leadership and accomplish the goals that I had been striving for since my freshman year. Overall, the JROTC program has changed my life for the better, and I would not trade my experiences for the world,” explained Mullins.

After graduation, Mullins plans to attend UTC, and will reapply to the United Stated Naval Academy and the United States Military Academy West Point. He will also participate in the ROTC program at UTC.

“The JROTC program teaches cadets time management and responsibility, along with enhancing work ethic. This will help any former cadet in their endeavors in college and beyond. JROTC has also improved my leadership style, which will benefit me as a member of the Senior ROTC program. Upon graduation, I will become an officer in the Army, and the leadership that I enhanced in high school will be utilized professionally,” stated Mullins.

Mullins has proven that he has taken advantage of his time at Central, and he has used the opportunities available to him in order to have a smooth transition to college and career. Central is proud to have students like Mullins, just like Mullins is proud to have attended Central.

“Central has impacted my life by providing me the opportunities to better myself. The teachers were supportive, and they truly cared about my academic progression…My friends have been completely supportive of my goals throughout my time at Central, and I am extremely grateful for these friendship. I left Central for a semester. After seeing what is on “the other side,” I have a deep appreciation for the school itself. I will always be a Pounder for life,” Mullins declared.