Senior Jameson Willard Recieves Three Year ROTC Scholarship

SENIOR JAMESON WILLARD RECEIVES THREE YEAR ROTC SCHOLARSHIP -- Alongside his ROTC duties, Jameson Willard served as the football teams kicker his junior and senior year.

Daryl Banther

SENIOR JAMESON WILLARD RECEIVES THREE YEAR ROTC SCHOLARSHIP — Alongside his ROTC duties, Jameson Willard served as the football team’s kicker his junior and senior year.

Ashley Coleman, Staff Writer

Central seniors applied for countless scholarships throughout the school year. Scholarships can be awarded for various aspects, such as sports and academic success. These awards help college students focus more on their education and less on the finances that accompany it.

Senior Jameson Willard was selected and applied for a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) scholarship. His application was reviewed by the head of ROTC at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC). Willard ended up getting an interview based on his application. After, his application was sent to the board of Military Science professors, whom selected him for the scholarship.

The scholarship pays for tuition and fees, room and board, 1,000 dollars for books, and a monthly paycheck to use for personal uses. Willard plans on attending UTC for his nursing degree, and then plans on graduating as a second lieutenant in the Unied States Army.

“I feel like certain teachers prepared me for college,” shared Willard.

The Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps is a military program designed to provide high school students an opportunity to build on their leadership skills and inspire them to be stronger and more passionate citizens. It also allows students to prepare themselves to go into the military doing workouts and drills. Central students can opt to take this class for two years to replace their Wellness credit, and students can take the class for all four years of high school.

Willard actually only took one year of JROTC at Central. Even though his involvement in the class was short, it was able to bring him plenty of benefits for his future.