Central’s Art Classes Continue to Adapt to Distance Learning

Grayson Catlett

ART CLASSES FORCED TO ADAPT TO DISTANCE LEARNING — Art instructor Melissa Hoesman assists one of her art students, Senior Kassy Griffith.

Bailey Brantingham, Editor

With many changes and problems faced this school year, one of the most drastic has been the constant switches between learning styles. An consistent issue with online classes, which are still relatively new, seems to be how to approach and create functional working styles for students. Central’s art classes had to adapt quite quickly to the school year’s strange situation.

“I believe that teaching is more dynamic when delivered in person, but my online lessons are expanding and incorporating more technology, so students are benefiting! Online instruction exposes students to so many places and resources in art,” explained Central’s art instructor, Melissa Hoesman.

The second semester began with all students and teachers operating from home, and Hoesman had to enter all of her lessons online for her students. She taught from her home and used resources like self-made instructional videos to guide her students.

“I would much rather take art class online than in person. It’s a little more difficult to get the materials, but other than that it’s mostly the same,” expressed Senior Cheyenne McGuire.

Hoesman plans to help students engage in art on paper as well as their school-issued Chromebooks. She also plans to hand out “art kits” which will contain all the art supplies necessary for at-home students to complete their assignments.

“The hardest thing about teaching remotely is not being able to connect with students when they do not respond to emails and do not come to class. Watching students choose to not engage is terribly sad,” shared Hoesman.

Although recent changes have made art class more difficult than usual for this year’s students, Hoesman is determined to help each student, regardless of where they learn, to engage in their art assignments to the best of their ability. She concluded by saying that students and teachers alike must overcome this depressing and isolating time by using the resources that they already have to create art inside and outside the classroom.