Junior Sarah Katheron Latham Receives National Ruriteen of the Year Award

JUNIOR+SARAH+KATHERON+LATHAM+RECEIVES+RURITEEN+OF+THE+YEAR+AWARD+--+Sarah+Katheron+Latham+a+three+year+member+of+the+Ruriteen+Club+awarded+Ruriteen+of+the+Year.+

Donated to the Digest

JUNIOR SARAH KATHERON LATHAM RECEIVES RURITEEN OF THE YEAR AWARD — Sarah Katheron Latham a three year member of the Ruriteen Club awarded Ruriteen of the Year.

Breanna Long, Staff Writer

Sarah Katheron Latham has been a part of the Ruriteen club at Central High School since she was a freshman. This year, being her third year in the organization, she holds the title of Co-President.

The Ruriteen club is a community-based organization at Central. Students who are in the club do small acts of community service throughout the school and for other organizations in Harrison as well. Due to COVID, there has not been much the club could do, but they have still done their best within their limits to make Harrison a better place. So far, they have helped out with a Harvest Festival for elementary school kids, made cards for Teacher appreciation month, and are currently assisting with the CDC prom.

“I was encouraged by teachers to enter the contest,” says Latham, “but, I wasn’t expecting to win.”

Latham was encouraged to fill out the application to receive the award by those around her, including Mrs. Alexander, the teacher who is behind the Ruriteen club.

The Ruriteen award is given by the district to the one they find most fitting of the qualities of an exceptional Ruritan member.

“I am extremely proud of Sarah Katheron. She is very deserving of this award and recognition. She works so hard as the President of the Central Ruriteens,” Ms. Alexander, the sponsor commented.

The Ruriteen club is an amazing and supportive club that does a countless number of generous things for our community and encourages students to be more involved with not only the prosperity of our school, but all of Harrison.