Environmental Science’s Class Pets? Earthworms!

Banana Peels are Their Favorite Snacks

Serenity+Clemons%2C+Riley+Ellison%2C+TeMetriya+Cosey%2C+and+Jaden+Butler+standing+around+the+Earthworm+farm+in+its+aquarium+

Serenity Clemons, Riley Ellison, TeMetriya Cosey, and Jaden Butler standing around the Earthworm farm in its aquarium

Ryan Brown, Staff Writer

They are slimy and wiggly and they are crawling around Central High School. They’re earthworms and they are the class pets project for Mrs. April Hashes Environmental Science class.

“I wanted a classroom pet that was easy to take care of that would show students how decomposition works to help put nutrients back into the food chain,” Hashe explained.

Although this year’s group of worms hasn’t been officially named, the names in the past have included Bob the Destroyer, Karen, Gerald, Mrs. Hashe, Dirt Munch, Lloyd, Slimey, Squiggles, and Digger.

“Most of the students probably think I’m a bit crazy for having earthworms as a class pet, but they are usually interested in seeing just how fast worms decompose things.”

Mrs. Hashe said her favorite part about the worm farm is using an aquarium because it allows everyone to see the “worm behavior” and that they can work as a team to devour their food.

“When we get to see an earthworm right next to the glass working its way through a banana peel or cardboard, it’s pretty interesting,” she said. A large colony of worms on average can break down 2-3 banana peels in about a week.

Mrs. Hashe mentioned that the main thing she figured out about the worms is how fast 12 worms can reproduce and break down the food and any other scraps.

When school is out, Hashe hopes to take the worms home where they can continue to thrive.

“They’re going with me!”