• Go buy your prom tickets! The last day is Friday, April 21st.
  • Learning labs are available after school.
  • Follow The Central Digest on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Poll

What is your favorite thing about Valentines Day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Harmonizing Hope and Talent: Our High School Choir Class Hits All the Right Notes

In a world of challenges, the power of music in our school unites and uplifts…

Amid the hustle and bustle of high school life, one class stands out for its ability to create harmony, not just in music but in the hearts of its students. The high school choir class, comprised of talented young voices, is more than just an extracurricular activity; it’s a symbol of unity, resilience, and artistic expression. As the choir class embarks on a new school year, their melodious journey promises to inspire and captivate both their school community and the world beyond.

Katheron Latham, the dedicated music teacher at Chattanooga Central High, is not just an educator; she’s a passionate advocate for the power of music in education. With a master’s degree in Choral/Vocal Music Education from the University of Alabama and certification to teach K-12 music classes, Mrs. Latham has a deep love for her craft and a strong commitment to her students. We had the privilege of speaking with her about her journey as a music teacher, her philosophy on music’s place in education, and her connection with her students.

When asked why did she become a Music Teacher, she responded with:

“When I was 7, I begged my parents for a piano. I began lessons in 2nd grade and ever since then, I have had a love for music. In middle school, I joined my school choir and even began accompanying the choir. I also began taking voice lessons as well. In high school, I began to realize that I loved music more than any other subject, and I decided I wanted to share my love of music with others through teaching.” Her love for music has been growing ever since.

In the realm of education, Katheron Latham champions the essential role of music. She firmly believes that music is not merely an extracurricular activity but a vital component of every educational program. Ms. Latham’s perspective goes beyond the notes and rhythms; she sees the classroom as a sanctuary where students can discover a sense of belonging and acceptance. Music classes, she contends, have the remarkable ability to kindle a genuine desire to attend school, offering a space where students can express themselves and connect with peers in a unique way. Beyond these intrinsic benefits, Ms. Latham points out that research has demonstrated that the study of music contributes to increased brain function and can even enhance a student’s performance in other academic subjects. It’s a testament to the profound impact of music education, illuminating the path to well-rounded and intellectually enriched individuals.

The journey through the corridors of high school may be marked by challenges, but within these walls, voices come together to create something extraordinary – an enduring reminder of the power of music to uplift spirits, bring communities together, and shape the hearts and minds of the next generation. The melodies linger long after the final note, a testament to the enduring legacy of high school choir classes and their indomitable role in shaping our future.