Fashion Design Course Coming to Central High

COURSE PAPERS-- Central prepares for the upcoming Fashion Design courses!

Jacob Johns

COURSE PAPERS– Central prepares for the upcoming Fashion Design courses!

Jacob Johns, Staff Writer

Fashion is an exciting topic for several students at Central High School, many who see a future in the field. For those students who wish to pursue a career in fashion or fashion design, Central plans to introduce a Fashion Design course to help them further their dream.

The class will be taught by Mrs. Doris Coulter, the current Introduction to Human Studies teacher. Coulter is very excited to be able to teach this class next year. She believes that with her background and experience in fashion, she will be a perfect fit for teaching the course.

“I have been sewing since I was eleven years old and after high school I took up commercial sewing and worked for JC Penny in one of their factories sewing clothes,” shared Coulter.

Although Coulter enjoyed this job, the world of fashion proved to be very competitive. “I tried to pursue a career in fashion, but I majored in Home Economics and minored in Fashion Merchandise,” explained Coulter. “I have been teaching for 25 years and have been eagerly waiting for the chance to teach a class like this.”

The Fashion Design course will only be offered to sophomores and juniors. Since it will be a time consuming class, Coulter holds high hopes that she will have a block schedule to accompany the course. Once a student starts the course, they must take all three courses. These classes include Foundations of Fashion Design, Fashion Design, and Advanced Fashion Design.  However, all students planning to take this course must take Visual Arts 1 before being permitted to take Foundations of Fashion Design.

“Foundations of Fashion Design is also considered a Fine Arts credit, another requirement for graduation. So even if students aren’t interested in getting their focused electives in Fashion Design, they could still take the course and get their Fine Arts credit,” stated Mrs. Lindsey Ruggles, a Guidance Counselor at Central.

If interested in taking the new and exciting courses, please speak to Mrs. Coulter in E-Pod!