But Seriously: What’s With All The Speed Bumps?

SPEED BUMPS EVERYWHERE -- Columnist Jared Eddy stands next to new speed bump at Central High.

Jared Eddy

SPEED BUMPS EVERYWHERE — Columnist Jared Eddy stands next to new speed bump at Central High.

Jared Eddy, Columnist

With the new year in full swing, some new additions to Central were added over the holiday break and surprised many. A total of 25 speed bumps have been added to the Central High School campus after Central principal, Finley King, requested Hamilton County to install them.

Over the past few days of school teachers, students, parents, and bus drivers have complained not about the speed bumps, but the excessive amount of them.

“They are just too sharp,” shared senior Gwendolyn Sofield about the speed bumps. “Maybe if they redo them they would not be so bad.”

The school’s reason to get the speed bumps was to simply slow down some of the cars on campus.

“In my mind, I thought they would give us just a couple of them,” explained Principal King, “I was very surprised at how many they gave us. We are now working on possibly getting rid of some of the speed bumps.”

But seriously, did we really need all these speed bumps?

The answer is not a simple one. There have been multiple cases of students and parents going over the speed limit on campus reported to the school. So yes, some speed bumps were the solution to that problem. On the other hand, with so many speed bumps, the morning traffic rush and after school traffic are significantly slowed down. It mainly slows down the bus drivers, who have complained a lot, according to Mr. King.

“If I have more than three people in my car, the speed bumps will scratch the bottom,” stated senior Jake Watts. “It is super annoying.”

So what do you think? Do we need all these speed bumps? Comment below and tell us how you feel.

For now, drive safely Central, and watch out for the speed bumps.