Dyer ‘Getting the Hang’ of Being Central’s New College Adviser

MRS. DYER IS ALWAYS DOING HER BEST TO HELP STUDENTS PREPARE FOR COLLEGE -- Dyer discusses future plans with Ruebin Thrasher, a senior at Central High School.

Zeena Whayeb

MRS. DYER IS ALWAYS DOING HER BEST TO HELP STUDENTS PREPARE FOR COLLEGE — Dyer discusses future plans with Ruebin Thrasher, a senior at Central High School.

Zeena Whayeb, Staff Writer

Susan Dyer is Central’s new college access adviser at Central High School, replacing Ms. Katy Burnette who left Central at the end of the 2015-2016 school year. Before Dyer’s new occupation, she was the Family and Consumer Sciences, Child Development, and Interior Design teacher.

A college adviser helps students learn career paths they would like to pursue and help provide resources for them to prepare for their college education and careers.

“For somebody new, she feels like she knows what she’s doing,” said Avionne Snakenberg, a senior at Central High School. “She has been helping us with getting ahead for scholarships.”

After a sudden change from her teaching routine into an adviser, Dyer is still getting adjusted. Dyer has been teaching for 34 years, so some of the responsibilities that come with the new position are taking some time to get used to.

“I feel like I am a freshman. I think I like it, but I will like it more when I get the hang of it.” admitted Dyer.

Dyer knows the basics, however. She has four kids that have all finished school and have jobs. She guided them through their college experience.

The computer and technology aspect of the job has proven to be the toughest thing for Dyer to get a hold of, though she is still learning the ropes of some of the other responsibilities as well.

“That’s my training ground. It helps because they all have different personalities, different interests and different majors.” Mrs. Dyer expressed, regarding her four children.

Dyer’s education background also allows for a wide range of resources to assist students in making college decisions. She has a bachelor ‘s degree from Kentucky and a master’s degree from Murray State University in Kentucky.

Mrs. Dyer is looking forward to getting the hang of the job, and cannot wait for Central students to really start looking to her for college advise. Be sure to stop at her newly-decorated office for some friendly college help!