The History of Stan the Pounder Man

THE HISTORY OF STAN THE POUNDER MAN -- Christopher Kribs wears the

Sarah Katheron Latham

THE HISTORY OF STAN THE POUNDER MAN -- Christopher Kribs wears the "Stan the Pounder Man" head for the pep rally.

Jaheim Williams, Staff Writer

When it comes to school spirit, many Central students are quick to paint their faces, yell out chants, and support their peers on game day. However, one important player on the team is often overlooked and taken for granted. This teammate is the one and only Stan the Pounder Man, Central’s mascot.

A large number of people are quick to ignore the importance of having a mascot, especially Stan. In actuality, Stan has a lot more substance than meets the eye and is a significant icon of Central’s history. Assistant Principal Steve Lewis was a huge advocate for Stan’s legacy and is one of the reasons for why Stan is still around today.

Lewis explained the school’s previous situation, in which it lacked a mascot, mentioning the actions that needed to be fulfilled in order to appoint an official mascot.

“Originally, we didn’t have a mascot, and I always wondered why. At the time, Mr. [Finley] King was the assistant principal, so when he became principal, we both agreed that we needed a mascot,” said Lewis.

The outline for the mascot was already a clear concept considering the school’s symbol. It was pretty simple to build upon what had previously been established.

“Our school’s symbol has always been the big hammer and anvil to symbolize a blacksmith. However, all we had was an arm, so we had to find out a way to expand on that by having a full mascot,” revealed Lewis.

He admitted that the mascot Central ended up with was an act of fate. He believes that there was no better choice for a mascot than Stan.

“Mr.King and I decided to take the next couple weeks to look into a variety of different mascots to see what was available. The day that we both got back together, we both brought pictures of the same mascot and knew that it was the one,” shared Lewis.

Lewis also shared the history of where the mascot’s name originates from.

“His name is Stan the Pounder Man because back in the 1930s and 1940s Central’s football team was at its peak. Therefore, whenever we won a game, the news article would say that we ‘pounded’ the opposing team. The name Stan is to commemorate Stan Farmer, the coach who got us the most championships,” stated Lewis.

As Central continues to maintain its legacy each year with a new addition of students, Stan the Pounder Man will continue to be an integral part of students’ high school experience, symbolizing the school spirit that Coach Farmer helped cultivate through his dedication to his team.