Alumni Sponsored Brick Fundraiser Continues With Renewed Purpose

ALUMNI ASSOCIATIONS BRICK SALE CONTINUES -- The first bricks that have been ordered sit in the Central High School library.

Sarah Katheron Latham

ALUMNI ASSOCIATION’S BRICK SALE CONTINUES — The first bricks that have been ordered sit in the Central High School library.

Sarah Katheron Latham, Assistant Editor

In January 2020, the Central Alumni and Supporter’s Association began a fundraiser that will leave behind a legacy for years to come. They began selling bricks to raise money for annual scholarships and projects. There were nine bricks ordered through forms available at the front office. The plan was to put the bricks around the anvil in the front parking lot.

“The goal of the brick campaign is to raise more money for the alumni association’s scholarship funds. Last year alone, the association distributed over $30,000 in scholarship money to the graduating senior class. We want to make sure that the number is able to stay that high and grow in the future,” Preston Fore explained, a new member of the Alumni Association.

In the 2020-21 school year, the Alumni Association began approaching the sale with new vigor and intention. The order form is now easily accessible online, and there is a plan to put the bricks in the front of the school. The bricks will fill the circle between the planters before the front doors of the school building.

UPDATE: ALUMNI SPONSORED BRICK FUNDRAISER CONTINUES WITH RENEWED PURPOSE — Google Earth provides a birds-eye view of the concrete circle between the planters, where the bricks will be placed. (Donated to the DIgest)

The Alumni Association is hoping to sell 100-150 bricks to make the pathway to the front doors of the building. Two sizes are available for purchase: 4″x 4″ and 4″x 8″. The fundraiser will continue as long as there is interest in the project.

“I’ve already purchased my personal brick, a brick for my sister, and one for my brother and sister-in-law. There are a total of nine bricks already awaiting installation,” said Buffy Hoge, President of the Alumni Association.

Some of Central’s Alumni have bricks from the original Central High School location: 500 Dodds Avenue. Twelve Dodds Avenue bricks currently sit in the Library History Archives.

“These [in the library] were left over from the construction of the Football Concession/Pressbox in 1971. I don’t think anyone realized the importance this symbol [bricks] would become to the older Alumni,” said Hoge.

There is hope that some of those bricks will be donated back to Central in order to be engraved and placed among the others.

“The cream color bricks from the Dodds Avenue building are slightly larger than the 4″ x 8″ bricks, so I’m looking for someone (hopefully an alumni) who can shave the bricks to fit…Our school’s path to success began on Dodds Avenue; I can’t think of a better way to honor that historic connection,” elaborated Hoge.

When students and faculty walk through the front doors of Central High School, they will be able to see that they are supported and encouraged by the Alumni Association to be the very best they can.

“This mythical pathway to success is the front door to both Dodds Avenue and Highway 58 locations. The front doors are open and inviting to adventures, education , experiences, and opportunities;  to caring faculty and staff; to becoming part of the CHS legacy,” declared Hoge.

Ultimately, the Alumni Association believes the fundraiser is a great way to assist present Central students while leaving a legacy that will last beyond them. The bricks can also be a gift to a graduating senior.  That way, they will always be able to come back and remember their time at Central.

“Help us enshrine the memories of past and present Purple Pounders while propelling those of the future,” concluded Fore.

Click here to order your brick.