Eight Central High Wrestlers Headed to State Tournament

EIGHT WRESTLERS HEADING TO STATE -- Centrals wrestling team is sending a large number of wrestlers to the state competition, on par with many elite teams.

Cassandra Castillo

EIGHT WRESTLERS HEADING TO STATE — Central’s wrestling team is sending a large number of wrestlers to the state competition, on par with many elite teams.

Karleigh Schwarzl, Staff Writer

It is that time of year again, it is time for the state tournament. Central’s wrestling team has put their heart and passion into their sport. In fact, this year, eight Central High wrestlers are headed to the state tournament. This is the most that Coach Ryan Mallory has ever taken.

“Looking at the numbers other teams are taking, we are taking as many as some of the more elite teams in the tournament. 6 of the 8 are first-timers, so this will be an eye-opening experience for them,” said Coach Mallory.

Wrestlers Haiden Dill, Jack Neely, Jordan Wright, Isaiah DeLorenzo, Jacob Wright, Alijah Heyward, Reginald Wadley, Donavyn Walker are all headed to state this year, six of which have never been before. Haiden Dill and Jack Neely will be the two experienced participants.

Additionally, Haiden Dill has a chance to win his third state medal.

“Haiden Dill is our most accomplished wrestler. His season record is 28-5. He is a two-time state medalist: 3rd in 2018 and 5th in 2017. I’m sure he’ll be a finalist this year,” explained Coach Mallory.

A part from Dill, a lot of the wrestling team is made up of younger student-athletes. Over the season, they have grown, as they have gone to practice and shown out, putting all their heart into wrestling.

“I’m so excited for the state tournament. I’ll have a harder time to place, but I like the challenge. I have the dedication and drive to place as high as possible,” said Junior Jack Neely.

This season has been a real game changer for a lot of the wrestlers on the team. Early on in the season Coach Mallory saw the progress that was coming, knowing as early as the match against East Ridge that they were on the right track to a very accomplished season.