Trevor Brittingham Takes Position as Chemistry Teacher

TREVOR BRITTINGHAM TAKES POSITION AS CHEMISTRY TEACHER — Trevor Brittingham is hard at work ensuring that students get back on track with their chemistry standards.

Jaheim Williams

Jaheim Williams, Staff Writer

As students transition into a new year, they are reminded that everything does not stay the same. School standards, regulations, and positions are constantly changing. Unfortunately, change sometimes results from a tragedy. Trevor Brittingham has stepped up to take on the role of chemistry teacher following the unfortunate passing of Megan Sanford. He was already teaching freshmen science in C-Pod at Central. He now teaches in Stanford’s former room. He has promised to lead students on wide path to a bright future.

Brittingham explained what it is like to change classrooms as a teacher and how quickly everything happened. He compared his situation to how staff scheduling is usually handled before school starts, and how the process is a lot more organized.

“It’s kind of like when you’re a kid and you get a new room, but you have to decorate your room and make it your own. Typically, you’re going to want your belongings in specific areas. Usually, teachers get the summer to prepare their rooms before the students arrive. However, in my case, I didn’t really get that time, so [the room reorganization] is still a work in progress,” said Brittingham.

He said that the room would be of great use overall since it is spacious and came equipped with lab essentials. He compared the space to that of his previous room and what he has to currently work with.

“This is a lot more space than my previous room. I was originally teaching science in a regular classroom, so I didn’t really have lab tables, sinks, or things you would expect to find in a science classroom. You would think the change would be overwhelming, yet I think this is an overall great new working environment. Once I get rid of all the clutter, I will be ready to take things further,” shared Brittingham.

Brittingham’s coworker, April Slatton, shared her impressions of him.

“So far, in getting to know Mr. Brittingham, as a colleague, I am pleased to know him. Mr. Brittingham strikes me as realistic, witty, and a decent person to work with. I’m all of our interactions, he has been professional and knowledgeable about his subject matter.  I am looking forward to continuing work as Mr. Brittingham’s coworker,” said Slatton.
There was also a change in the math department. Amanda Everett moved into Matthew Joyner’s former room, taking his place as Central’s geometry teacher.
“I feel as if the kids are really good at adapting. Before, the students didn’t have much structure, so it was a bit difficult for them to adjust. However, they improved very quickly,” concluded Everett.