The Central Cross Country Team Begins 2020 Season

THE CENTRAL CROSS COUNTRY TEAM BEGINS 2020 SEASON -- Seen is Centrals cross country team for the 2019 season.

Donated to the Digest

THE CENTRAL CROSS COUNTRY TEAM BEGINS 2020 SEASON — Seen is Central’s cross country team for the 2019 season.

Amber Burchfield, Staff Writer

Questions of whether or not sports would take place this year were asked throughout the summer, but now, we know that fall sports are back. With the return of fall sports, the Central Cross Country team is back for a new and exciting season. Students are looking forward to a new season of running, and the athletes are working very hard to have the best season possible. Although COVID-19 has changed many plans for the year, coaches and students are still looking forward to a great new season.

“We are looking forward to another year of growth and success,” says Cross Country Coach Joseph Parrott.

With only one girl and six guys on the team this year, Parrott is always accepting new runners to join the team.

Last season, one Central cross country runner made it to state. This year, athletes and coaches are striving to make it back to state. Students are working hard to come out of this season successful, and, due to COVID-19, many changes will be made.

“This year will be different obviously due to COVID-19, as not all runners will be at school in person everyday. This means that those who are really dedicated will shine this year,” stated Parrott.

With the start of the season approaching fast, many of the runners are spending their afternoons building their stamina. They are looking forward to their first meet on Tuesday, September 1.

When asked how she felt about the upcoming season, Junior Kendra Jones stated, “I am super excited for the new season! I didn’t think that cross country was going to happen due to COVID.”

No matter what challenges they face, the runners are ready to perform the sport they love, and they cannot wait for their first scheduled meet, even if changes are made.

“I think there aren’t going to be that many changes, but I am excited to be able to race. I feel like there are going to be less people and everyone will have to practice social distancing,” claimed Jones.

The runners are ready to show how hard they have been working, and they are sure that all of their hard work will pay off in the end.