• Follow the Central Digest on Facebook and Twitter

Running Back Michael McGhee Gets Signed to Sewanee University of the South

RUNNING BACK MICHAEL MCGHEE SIGNS TO SEWANEE THE UNIVERSITY OF THE SOUTH -- Senior Michael McGhee poses with football head coach Curt Jones.

Karleigh Schwarzl

Karleigh Schwarzl, Staff Writer

It is an achievement in itself for one to be accepted into the college of their choice, however it is even more amazing to be scouted by a university personally as a result of one’s skill sets and achievements. Senior Michael McGhee was chosen to attend Sewanee and plans to study either exercise science or biology while in attendance at the University of the South. McGhee currently has a 3.95 GPA, so both academics and athletics are close to his heart. He is very ecstatic about the opportunity to continue both his football career and academic success there.

Sewanee is a private college located in Sewanee, Tennessee. It offers 36 majors along with 43 minors and 15 special programs. There are also pre-professional programs in business, health and medicine, education, engineering, and law.

“I chose Sewanee because it was a great academic school that will set me up to do great things after college in addition to the fact that they were interested in me for football,” stated McGhee.

“I expect Michael to do great things in his future. I expect to see a young man who not only excels in his college experience but someone who develops into a wonderful husband, father, and worker in our society,” stated Head Football Coach Curt Jones.

In his years at Central, McGhee was a semi-finalist for Mr. Football in his 2017-2018 season. He completed over 4,000 rushing yards over the years. Additionally, he has achieved all-region first team, all academic team, running back of the year (’16-’17), and player of the year (’17-’18).

“My favorite memory with Michael has to be when I saw him sign his papers to go to Sewanee. It’s when I looked at him and saw the smile tattooed on his face. That has to be my favorite memory with him,” commented Jones.

About the Contributor
Karleigh Schwarzl, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Karleigh Schwarzl. This is my first year on the Digest. My interests consist of sports, art, and hanging out with my friends and family. ...