What Teachers Knew Then vs. Now

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU KNEW WHAT YOU KNOW NOW? -- Central teacher, Mrs. Brazaele, teaches her Algebra class.

Zeena Whayeb

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU KNEW WHAT YOU KNOW NOW? — Central teacher, Mrs. Brazaele, teaches her Algebra class.

Zeena Whayeb, Staff Writer

From grading and attending meetings to getting all the students’ attention and interest in a topic, the challenges of teaching can be very stressful. If Central teachers had known before what they know now about teaching and education, what would they have done differently?

“I might have given a harder look at the legal profession and taken a longer look at the teaching profession,” shared Ryan Mallory, an English 9 teacher at Central.

The Occupational Outlook Handbook from BLS reports that the annual median salary for teachers in 2015 was around $57, 200. In fact, most teachers get paid less than other college graduates entering a similar type career.

“I also would not have romanticized teaching as much as I did. I wish I had been more realistic. Teachers come in, and things don’t go as they might expect. We may be passionate about a subject, but that does not mean the students will love it as much too,” stated Mallory.

Did you know that 46% of teachers leave within the first five years of their career? The teacher job satisfaction dropped 15 points back in 2012, the lowest level in over 20 years. Despite this, the Central teachers who were interviewed did not show any huge regret towards picking the teaching profession.

“I should have done my student teaching. I wouldn’t change my career path, but I would do that,” shared Ms. Sally White, an English 10 teacher at Central. Ms. White was hired on an alternative license at a high school in 1991 and never had the chance to become a student teacher.

Interestingly enough, the Bureau of Labor Statistics suggests a 6% employment growth for high school teachers between the years 2014 and 2024.

“I would have gotten a degree in history. I got a degree in secondary education which allows me to teach history to grades 9 through 12. If I had a degree in history, I would also be able to teach at a community college like Chattanooga State,” explained Shawn Seals, a U.S. History teacher at Central.

Some of Central’s teachers did think up of ways to have bettered their career paths.

“I would be a lot more serious about my education. I just breezed through high school and didn’t put in much effort. I traveled a lot after I graduated from high school and saw a lot of things. I could have been more financially set,” stated Mr. Jon King, Central manufacturing teacher. “I think this would still have been my career. though, because I did experience a lot of things when I was younger. I worked in many different jobs from washing dishes to digging ditches, lifeguarding and working in the mountains. Despite this, I think I would have still ended up in this area.”

On the other hand, some teachers were satisfied with all that they did and did not do.

“I wouldn’t change anything,” shared chemistry teacher, Mrs. Brielle Farrow.