Central’s Anatomy Class Get Ready for a Cat Dissection

MRS. SELLERS’ CLASS STARTS THE CAT DISSECTION — Anatomy students receive dead, preserved cats to dissect.

Zeena Whayeb, Staff Writer

Mrs. Donna Sellers introduced 14 cats to her anatomy class. The cats were brought over from the Carolina Biological Company in North Carolina. The company supplies classrooms with needed science materials, in this case, preserved cats. These cats were euthanized and then preserved for classroom use. No cats were killed solely for the purpose of this dissection.

“The cats, like humans, are mammals. The anatomical structure of cats are the most similar to a human’s, with few exceptions,” stated Mrs. Sellers.

The anatomy class’ curriculum requires the class to dissect cats and no other animals have been dissected following the same procedure as the cat dissection. The cats cost around $50 a piece.

“This dissection is a culmination of everything I’ve taught them over the year. It’s a hands-on experience that helps register in everything that they have read or just seen in pictures,” shares Mrs. Sellers.

The students’ curiosity blossomed at the sight of the cats. Some were grossed out, but Mrs. Sellers guided the way.

“I think it’s pretty cool. I know some are grossed out, but it’s really cool. You get to see all this stuff that is also found in your body,” commented Cassidy Simms, a junior at Central.

Seeing what they have learned in 3D was eye opening to many students. The students dissect each of the structures that they have learned over the course of year, such as the digestive and respiratory system. Overall, the project will last less than two weeks.