• Go buy your prom tickets! The last day is Friday, April 21st.
  • Learning labs are available after school.
  • Follow The Central Digest on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Poll

What is your favorite thing about Valentines Day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

New Teacher Spotlight: Aden Sikes

New Match Teacher

Aden Sikes is Central High School’s new Algebra I teacher. Sikes graduated from Southern Adventist University with a degree in Math Education.  This is Sikes’s first year teaching, although he did student teaching before. Sikes grew up in Southern Indiana then moved to Tennessee for school, where he met his wife who is currently enrolled at Southern Adventist University as well.

Sikes explained that he likes teaching math because it is “very interesting” and “there is a correct way to do it.” He talks about how he has always loved teaching people math in school and helping them with equations.

Sikes’s teaching style is straight forward. Day one, the students are taking notes. On day two, they are doing interactive work. Each student is given a booklet to complete. The students are interactive in the class along with listening to the lessons Sikes provide. He doesn’t take the criticism that the students give him to heart. He understands that math is not the easiest subject to pick up. He helps the students as much as he can. He makes sure that the students are engaged in the lessons. As proof of his success, Sikes says the test scores came back better than he expected.

Sikes makes sure students don’t give up halfway through the lesson, and keeps pushing them. Algebra I is being taught through SAVVAS, which is new for most of the teachers, including Sikes. Sikes is trying his hardest to understand the curriculum. The teachers here are “very welcoming” and helped him adjust to the new place. He isn’t surprised by how many new teachers there are. He adds, “Teaching isn’t that popular right now.” He is working the best he can with what he was given. In spite of the difficult subject matter, he students seem to like Sikes and his teaching style.