• Go buy your prom tickets! The last day is Friday, April 21st.
  • Learning labs are available after school.
  • Follow The Central Digest on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Poll

What is your favorite thing about Valentines Day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Social Media

How social media affects younger audiences and how central utilizes social media

Social media has had a surge in popularity since the 2000s and people around the world have started using social media but is social media really as great as it seems? Social media is used from old people to the youngest generation and can be used in various ways like education, exposure to social issues, positivity, and more helpful topics but there is also a darker side to social media that people often don’t talk about.

Taylor Mitchell a sophomore at central high school talks about both sides of social media and the affect it has on younger audiences. She believes that social media can be beneficial to mature audiences but for younger people and people with childish behavior it could have negative feedback on them. Young people are prone to being on social media which may be beneficial since it can help them take in new information on topics. It can also be harmful since they are on social media a large portion of the day and don’t control their screen time. Many younger kids are starting to be on social media more which means more exposure to inappropriate things. Without control over certain things kids can easily be exposed to harmful things. People viewing other people’s lives on social media can harm their mental health since they will eventually become jealous of someone’s life that they don’t even know and start to dissociate themselves from the real world.

Even though social media has its downsides it still has some qualities that are helpful to some people. People are  sometimes more positive about things and encouraging others to live the life they want and uplifting others. Other influencers talk about important topics around the world to spread awareness and those less fortunate and get other people to help as well.

Central High school uses social media in a positive way as they use it for information about school topics and the school’s opinions about things. Central uses social media like websites for information about the school, Facebook for school updates, and instagram for school events.

Mr Cuttle, says that Central uses social media in a positive way since they post events, information about school,a nd school activities to encourage students to join in different activities.