Central Increases Security Cameras On Campus

CENTRAL UPGRADES CAMERAS -- Mr. King demonstrates his third eye in his office.

Zeena Whayeb

CENTRAL UPGRADES CAMERAS — Mr. King demonstrates his “third eye” in his office.

Zeena Whayeb, Staff Writer

In the month of May, last school year, 59 more cameras were added to Central High School. The total now adds up to 74 cameras.

The cameras were installed last year, but only began working properly at the end of the school year. Where to put the cameras was decided by Mr. King and a gentleman with the company that installed the cameras. With the reliable map of the high school, they walked around and discussed what areas would need more attention and more security, like the cafeteria.

Many people ponder the questions on why the addition of cameras was a necessity to the school.

“Why so many? What’s the point?” questioned Andy Greene, a sophomore at the high school.

“To ensure nobody comes on our campus that doesn’t belong,” commented Mr. King. The point of the cameras is to ensure the student’s safety in the high school.

“I have no problem with it,” stated Mr. Kribs, a world history and geography teacher.

The cameras could also be seen as Mr. King’s “third eye”. The insurance of having that 24/7 surveillance is very beneficial to keeping Central safe from the inside and the outside. In addition, a very cool thing about the cameras is that Mr. King can access them from anywhere with his dependable phone.

“I think it’s okay because it helps in a way,” commented a fellow sophomore.

Remember that the noticeable cameras around the hallways are not there to catch things, but to keep things safe. For the students to be safe is a top priority at Central High School.