Nurse Kimberly Lykes Faces Many Changes From COVID-19

NURSE KIMBERLY LYKES FACES MANY CHANGES FROM COVID-19 -- The nurse at Central is constantly cleaning surfaces to better protect the students and faculty.

Zoey Greene

NURSE KIMBERLY LYKES FACES MANY CHANGES FROM COVID-19 — The nurse at Central is constantly cleaning surfaces to better protect the students and faculty.

Zoey Greene, Staff Writer

As the pandemic rages on, there is one member of the faculty at Central that has been greatly affected by the changes occurring through each step. Nurse Kimberly Lykes is under constant pressure as her interactions with students shift from being personal to more secluded.

“I am such a hugger and I miss the ability to hug all of my students. I’ve had most of them since the sixth grade and have built a strong relationship with them. I just miss being able to hug my kids,” described Lykes.

While there is such a drive to target COVID-19 related symptoms, all students are still welcome to visit the nurse when necessary.

“As long as I have the information, I will still administer any medication. I welcome all to get the form completed because that’s the whole reason I am here,” informed Lykes.

Lykes has reported that there have not been many students visiting due to the reduction of people in the building. One student that has chosen to remain in school is Senior Melanie Rosseau. She has had a tight bond with the school nurse since their first encounter when she was in middle school.

“I was excited to come back to school but also very nervous. I was excited because being without my friends was just causing me to be very sad. The overall changes in the school system just made me nervous. The nurse has been so great at keeping me informed and helping students. She makes sure they have their masks on. Also, she regularly affirms that we will all be okay, no matter what,” reported Rosseau.

Having a person to help with the continually changing expectations has been a huge help for Central. Nurse Lykes loves all of her students, but she does assert that the impacts of COVID-19 could be reduced if people would follow standard guidelines.

“Keep your face covered. That means wearing the mask correctly: cover your mouth and your nose. Wash your hands, but never touch your face. Get plenty of rest and maintain a good diet,” suggests Lykes.

Even though it is recommended to follow these procedures, it is not guaranteed that they can prevent the virus. When a student does somehow contract a fever that is a result of COVID-19, or of another viral disease, the office is designed to handle the situation with the utmost protection.

“When they have a fever, we have to send them home. We call the parents and get them to pick up the student. From there, they have to cover it. This pandemic is messing with the ability to be close, it makes things difficult,” shared Lykes.

It is evident that each day is a mystery with such a widespread pandemic in the country’s midst. Most people agree that people like Kimberly Lykes are the ones who help keep the country at its best. Many feel that Central has been blessed to have a member of the team who cares so much for the student body and faculty of the school.