New Scholarship For Performing Arts Students Honors Central Alumnus, Jordan Guess

SCHOLARSHIP NAMED AFTER JORDAN BLAINE GUESS -- Jordan, who passed away in 2014, will always be remembered by friends.

The Guess Family

SCHOLARSHIP NAMED AFTER JORDAN BLAINE GUESS — Jordan, who passed away in 2014, will always be remembered by friends.

Zeena Whayeb, Staff Writer

Jordan Blain Guess was a Central High School and Chattanooga State graduate who passed away at the age of 20 to a car accident in 2014. Erwin Davis, a friend of Guess’, set up a performing arts scholarship in his late friend’s name.

Jordan majored in Professional Actors Training at Chattanooga State. He was in theater and choir in high school, while Erwin was in the band.

“Jordan loved entertaining. He wasn’t always the center of attention in class, but when the spotlight came to him, he took it,” commented Davis.

In 10th grade, Jordan was in Mrs. Sally White’s drama club and was very fond of performing Shakespeare.

“Jordan found his place in the theater. He was very well-liked,” shared White.

Because they were both performing arts students here at Central High School, Mr. Davis saw it only fitting to set up a performing arts scholarship for their school.

“I wanted to do something that gives back to where I came from,” stated Davis.

At the moment, they are still raising money to make a $1,000 scholarship given to the performing arts student who exhibits the required attributes of the scholarship.

The requirements for the scholarship are:

-Must be a senior planning to graduate on time
-Must be a performing arts student (band, choir, theater, drama)
-Must have at least a 3.7 GPA or 26 on ACT
-Must be employed or have 25 hours of volunteer work during the last two years of high school
-Plans to attend college as a performing arts freshman
-Must pass a qualifying interview

Jordan Guess’ legacy will live on with the scholarship that will be awarded on Class Day 2017.