• Go buy your prom tickets! The last day is Friday, April 21st.
  • Learning labs are available after school.
  • Follow The Central Digest on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Poll

What is your favorite thing about Valentines Day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Coach Spotlight: Blake Wachtveitl

New Softball Head Coach

We have had a slew of new teachers this year at Central High School, but some aren’t quite new. Rather, they are just now coming into the limelight. Coach Blake Wachtveitl is the new head coach for the Central girl’s softball team. Though he has just now come into the head coach position, he has been the assistant coach for the past few years here at Central High School. Now 32, he played baseball at the college level for Temple University. He was formerly an assistant coach at Ooltewah High School before coming to Central.

When asked about how he felt about being the new coach, Wachtveitl stated,

“I am very excited and honored to be the head coach at Central. These girls have bought in and worked hard these past few years and continue to take steps forward to get this program back to a high level. We have won 42 games in the past two years and we hope to feed off that success and get better every year.”

Softball has been one of our most successful teams in recent years, so we are truly excited by the premise of being able to improve even more. Wachtveitl is in an interesting position, as he had prior knowledge of his players, and when asked if this would be to his advantage, he said,

“I do believe being familiar with these girls and already having their trust and respect will help this team bond and work together to help us be successful this year.”

Coach Wachtveitl has also stated that he plans on bringing everyone back from the previous year, in an attempt to boost morale and increase confidence in the team, citing Kierston Williams and Amiyah Williams as some of his top performers from the previous year. When asked about his goals for the team this year, Wachtveitl said he was

“Excited to get Central Softball back to a high level and these girls are ready to get to work.”

We are very excited to see our girls get back into playing this season and see how Coach Wachtveitl handles the new position. We are rooting for you, Central Pounders!